Saturday, August 22, 2009

Here Goes Nothin'!

Welcome. So I've been doing a lot of writing lately. Mostly for classes I'm taking at Hunter College, and for the school newspaper there, the Envoy. It's been good. And one of the reasons it's been good is that it's made me realize writing is something I ought to do even more of. Wherever it leads, for better or worse, it's something I have no business not making a prominent part of my life.

This blog is where that realization has led. For now.

I'm calling it "The Scenic Route" for a few reasons, all of which have an autobiographical element to them. I'm 26. And I'm an undergraduate in college. A lot of my peers had their degrees by 22. I'm on my way somewhere, but I've taken longer to get there than I could have. And, I'd argue, I've seen a lot more than I could have along the way. So that's one part of it. I've also been a nerd about all things spatial and geographic my whole life; I collected maps instead of baseball cards as a kid, if that tells you anything. I like to navigate, and I like to travel. These little nuggets are where the name came from, and they tell you some things about this (relatively) young blogger. But I'd like to range pretty wide in what I talk about here.

The plan, as it stands, is to publish content ranging from ruminations on whatever I'm thinking about, to film reviews that originally run in the Envoy, to political rants or more well-developed political writings, to possibly even some short stories or other fiction.

I have a lot to say (or, in any case, I'm fond of thinking I do). So this'll be the place to say it. At least for a while. We'll see how it works. Check in every so often. And give me your feedback, your suggestions, your rotten tomatoes, a little bit of your time. I'll try to make it worth your while.

See you on the interwebs,

Scott Klocksin

3 comments:

  1. A very fitting name. I like it. Mine was just something a fortune teller once told me. But it is also true for many autobiographical reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! I really appreciated reading your blog for a number of reasons. Although I'm lots older, I too grew up in the suburban settings and neighborhoods that John Hughes' films called home. John's film's mirrored my life in some ways. He grew up, had kids, got married about the time I did and his reflections on life via his films seemed to say alot of the things I thought and still think. He also had a great soundtrack(s) running through them and our family still quotes lines from his films and every year at Thanksgiving we watch Planes, Trains and Automobiles, so I guess we owe a tradition to him as well.

    Last but not least, you are a fine writer and I look forward to reading more. Thanks for sharing your words with us, Scott. I always enjoy hearing, in this case reading what is on your mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog! Good writing, interesting thoughts, provocative ideas. I especially enjoyed the piece about John Hughes.

    Happily married on the north shore

    ReplyDelete